We know many Mums and Dad’s now work, and with the school holidays nearly on us again, here’s some things worth covering off with your teenagers before you leave them home during the holidays.
- Cover off the basic rules for your household - what they can, and can’t do.
- Show them how to lock and unlock your security screen doors and wooden/glass doors, should they need to exit the house in an emergency.
- Remind them that they are not to unlock or open the security door for any visitors you have not approved.
- Run through your family’s emergency exit plan, so everyone knows what to do and where to meet in an emergency.
- Cover off your family’s rules for friends, can they go outside at all?
- Kitchen rules – what are they allowed to do in the kitchen?
- Put your contact phone numbers in an easy to see place.
- Make sure they know to only leave windows that are fitted with security window screens open, to prevent any opportunistic burglars entering through open windows.
The Raising Children website has more information about leaving your teenagers home alone here.
If you need to get security screens fitted before the holidays, you can find your local dealer on our Get a Quote tool.