Thanks to the way they are built, Prowler Proof products are built to last. We recommend the following care and maintenance:
Doors and windows
As a general rule you should clean the powder coated surface at least every six months – more rigorous cleaning is required in coastal and industrial areas.*
This is how you do it:
Doors and windows
1. Carefully remove any loose deposits with a wet sponge.
2. Use a soft (non-abrasive) brush or cloth and a mild household detergent to remove dust, salt and other deposits. (Do not use steel wool, scrapers, scouring liquids or powders as these permanently scratch the coating surface.)
3. Rinse off with clean fresh water.
You can safely spot clean using methylated spirits, turpentine or white spirits on small areas, if paint splashes, sealants or other residue need to be removed. These products should be used with care, and must be thoroughly rinsed off immediately after use to avoid powder coat damage. Avoid using harsh detergents as these could be harmful to the powder coated surface. Any detergent that recommends the use of gloves is likely to damage the powder coating. The damage may not be visible immediately and could take up to twelve months to appear.
Locks, hinges and rollers
1.Use a soft bristle brush or similar to clean the surface – avoid abrasive tools.
2. Clean with a diluted solution such as mild liquid detergent in warm water.
3. Ensure that cleaning fluids do not penetrate the lock cylinder.
4. Don’t allow dirt or other contaminants to build up on the surface, as these will discolour and impair the surface. Some change in colour, gloss or chalking may be expected dependent on exposure.
Key cylinders should be lubricated annually, or when there are signs of roughness when you insert or retract the key. Remove any dirt, grime and salt deposits on and around the end of the cylinder barrel, and apply a small amount of powdered graphite to the key. Insert the key into the lock barrel to maintain a smooth action.
*If living close to the ocean, a little extra care is required to protect your Prowler Proof product, like you would any other major investment. Below is a guide on how best to care for your screens if living in a coastal region.
Not close to the ocean, e.g. rural, remote from urban and industry
Every 6 months
Urban area, inland and away from industry
Every 2 to 3 months
Within 10km of a coastline, being coastal/marine and subject to salt deposition, or heavy industrial areas